01 September 2012

Counting Down

Okay everyone, I feel so bad for just leaving y'all hanging with my post about my ship date! It's time for me to elaborate a bit more haha!

So on 19 Aug I had something crazy happen to me, which I'll explain later, just know it was pretty life-altering. Well, that was a Sunday night, around 10 p.m. and the first thing I did on that Monday, 20 Aug, was go to my recruiter. I explained my situation to him, and that I would be ready to go at a moment's notice if he could get me a date to leave. I've been hardcore working out! I'm running 2+ miles a day, 6 days a week. I even got my 1.5 mile time down to 10:12!! It's crazy! I can even do 11 push ups now! It just kind of happened one day. I went from being able to do next to none, to 5, to 11 withing a few days time. I've also dropped a tremendous amount of weight, putting me way below my max! My sit ups are fine, I can 34, and the minimum to graduate is 38. I told my recruiter all of this, and he said he would be more than willing to make me his number one priority. He could see all of my hard work and dedication, so he wanted to help me out.

Well, that next day, Tuesday, he got the call from his boss that there was a slot available for Open General (I think the higher one) leaving 6 Nov. He almost flipped. He was so surprised since I had just come in asking for something! Well, of course he couldn't call and let me know right then. He needed to make sure paperwork went through, and that it was actually available rather than calling me and getting my hopes up, in case it fell through. On Wednesday, I was working a 9-5 shift. I had to go run a few errands on my lunch break, and then stopped at Sonic just to get a drink. I pulled back up to the mall parking lot, received a text and was replying to it while I was getting out of my car to head back in. I was mid-text when my phone rang and I saw my recruiter's name. I kind of had a "Holy crap, this is it" moment, then decided to not get my hopes up and just figured he was calling to check in. I had been keeping my phone on me at all times at work just in case he called to tell me I would be leaving soon, and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to say "Yes"! But, as my recruiter informed me, if it were that, and I wasn't answering my phone, he would just come over to my work (His office is literally right across the street).

So, I answer my phone, and he asks me how I was doing, where I was at with weight and everything then my heart skipped a few beats. I stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of the parking lot and had such a major girly moment of OMG's and doing a happy dance. It was almost embarrassing. But not quite =] He said, "Starr, I have some news. I got you a date for Basic Training." I barely heard anything he said after that for a few minutes. So he had to tell me again =] I'm leaving in 65 days (64 for MEPS)!!!

My life just feels so...right...now!! I cannot believe it. I lucked out getting to leave so soon, however, I wish it would've been with my September shippers (Preferably the 11th =])!! The 11thers will graduate TWO WHOLE DAYS after I get there. It sucks, but they're all excited for me. And we're all excited to catch up in Tech School. Since I have a General Aptitude, I have no idea what job I'll get, or even where I'll be going for Tech School! I'm pretty much okay with that, though. I got a ship date, so I can deal with the unknown =]

I've become more active in the November shippers page, but it's just not the same as September. I've known these guys since April, when I first went and met with my recruiter and started the whole process. I've had 5 months of getting to know them, and developing a bond. I know that sounds almost creepy and strange since it's online, but you can always tell when you've made [a] friend(s) for life. I'm hoping to develop a relationship close to this with some of my fellow November shippers! BMT is one of the toughest things you'll ever go through, and having a good wingman or two will make that process a bit easier. And if I can get to start those friendships sooner rather than later, it'll make a world of difference! I'm just happy to have people, regardless of what month they're shipping, that can understand how I feel. Sure, you can explain to it civilians, but they'll never truly understand why you do what you do. An Airman always will.

With that, I'm signing off. I've gotta get up and get ready for work, and do a little more BMT shopping! Yay for coupons! Everyone have an awesome Air Force Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment