31 July 2012

The Road Thus Far

Why, hello all! It's been about a week since I last wrote, so I figured I'd go ahead and update!!

Since my infinite posts about MEPS, I've not been up to too much. I mostly work. My husband decided to get two new puppies (black labs). TWO!!! I thought I'd kill myself...however no such luck. Hahahaha!! Anyhow, I've gotten to where any time I go to any store, I'm on the lookout for deals. Not like, extreme couponer deals, like travel sized deals.

My recruiter told me that if I see anything that has a good sale on it, to buy it for BMT. You never know how much things can sky-rocket in the future! So since it's back to school time here, we have zillions of backpacks at all the stores. I went to Target after work a few days ago, and decided to look for a backpack for BMT/Tech School. Keep in mind the AFI when getting a bag for Tech School. Anyway, I was strolling through the backpack aisle, not seeing much. I saw a few, but I didn't want to pay $30-$50 for a bag that really won't be used too much. I saw two that were the same brand/style but differed slightly. There were $25, but were on sale for $19.99 so I gave them a look. I had almost decided on one (decent size, relatively plain). It had these elastic things around the zipper, I guess as a handle for pulling. They were neon orange. EEEKKK! Then I realized I could take them off. Okay, that works. Well, I threw it in the cart, and started off. At the veryyy end of the aisle, they had COMPLETELY PLAIN black backpacks!! I flipped! And they were only $10!!! You better believed I grabbed it! I looked it over first, though. It's a little small, but my thought process on it was that it'll prevent me from over-packing. I'm that kind of a girl. I'm not uber girly or anything,  but I'd rather be over-prepared. Even for BMT! Well, this one will ONLY fit the essentials, which is good!

I went through the rest of the school supplies, and found two pretty nice notebooks for $.59 a piece. I grabbed about 4 (you can never have too many at home!), thinking I'd just take one with me down there. I also grabbed a basic pack of black ink pens (remember the military only uses black for official documents, and they just prefer it haha!) for about $2. I want to say it was the BIC brand with about 4-8, I can't remember. Anyway, you should only need one or two, but you'll have the opportunity to go to the BX and mini mall while you're at BMT. Then I headed to the travel sized items aisle. SO. MUCH. STUFF. I just wanted to buy it all! Haha! I didn't, though. I grabbed a 5 pack of make up remover wipes for $.97, some Tresemme hairspray for $.99 and Qtips for $.99. Then I went and grabbed a fresh pack of bobby pins/hair ties, which ran about $6 for both. **Note to ladies: these have to match your hair color, or be really close** I also grabbed one of the Schick Intuition razors with the built in soap, which I think was $6-$7. I plan on getting everything waxed before shipping, that way I can concentrate on getting clean in the shower, rather than shaving. It'll be slightly expensive, but I think a good investment! I also got some black flip flops from Old Navy for shower shoes, since I don't know when I'll be shipping, and where I live, we don't sell flip flops all year long haha!

That's all I've got in my BMT bag for now, but I'll slowly but surely be adding to it. Just in case I get a call one day from my recruiter telling me I'm leaving in one week. I'd rather not panic and forget things haha!

I also had a random financial issue come up, which caused me major stress from Thursday until today. My recruiter was on leave last week, so today was the first day I was able to talk to him. He told me it won't affect (or is it effect...?!) anything, just get it taken care of. So I did! Easy peasy. But all weekend, I was freaking out thinking I'd be kicked out! Ahhh! All that stress for nothing. Hmph.

Another random note: I went for my run today, and we've been having some extreme weather. Our temp was about 103* today, and the heat index ranged from 110*-118* all day. Yikes! And it was peaked at the time I went to run. Of course. I usually do at least a mile, but today I only did a half a mile. I wanted to be safe, and not suffer from heat exhaustion, and I hadn't drank enough water prior to that so I didn't want to dehydrate either. I only had about half a bottle of water, so I figured better to be safe than sorry! My PT regiment is struggling. I still can't do any pushups at all. My situps are fine, though. The last time I timed them (about 3 weeks ago) I had 46 in 1 minute. The standards for women on pushups is 18 in 1 minute and 38 situps in one minute, I believe. My recruiter said that as long as I can do at least 3 (ha!) by BMT, I'll survive. It just seems physically impossible for me right now. I need some encouragement. I wish I could just magic myself into doing them! That'd be nice!

I'll end this post here. Hopefully, there will be more to come soon! I think we have a job drop this week, so *fingers crossed* I get a job/ship date! Highly unlikely, but one can hope! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment