02 May 2013

The 3-Day Diet -- Does It Work?

Hello all! I know it's been quite some time since I've updated. I apologize sincerely! I've had a lot going on, and FINALLY landed a job after 4 months of waiting! Then, sadly, my house was broken into, and the people who did so took all of our big electronics (including my laptop! So this is on my phone - hang in there!) and one of DH's guns. It sucks, most definitely, but we're not defeated!

Anyway, my post today is on the now-popular 3-Day Military Diet. I'm not sure how it got the title of a "military diet", since it actually came from the cardiac unit at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. I think it's because military recruiters give it out to recruits just before heading to MEPS, since once you're operational, weight standards aren't really an issue. I do want state, though, this diet is NOT a long term solution. It's for people like us, who have a deadline for a weigh in they have to make. Following it any longer than one go-around may lead to some sort of complications. And, no matter who you are or your metabolism, you will gain the weight back. Maybe not all of it, but some. Also, make sure and consult with a physician before starting this, or if you experience any unusual behaviors or weird feelings while taking this. Nonetheless, this is the title it has been given, so we shall proceed.

I actually partook in this diet -- twice. Once before swearing into the DEP at MEPS, and then before shipping out to BMT. We all know I was struggling with my weight at those times, so my recruiter gave me a printout of this diet, and told me to have at it. Obviously, if it wasn't safe, he wouldn't have given it to me. But, this diet is VERY strict, and must be followed to the tee. On average, males who follow this diet lose about 7-10 lbs. while females lose on average 5-7 lbs. For me, the first time, I lost 7 lbs. and then 6 lbs. the second go around. The thing to remember is to STAY HYDRATED, with only water, between meals. You cannot substitute/vary any of these things, unless of course you have an allergy. Salt and pepper may be added in moderation, but no other seasonings. That includes mayo or what have you for the tuna. Personally, I like plain tuna. I'm also one of the pickiest eaters you'll ever meet, so this diet didn't bother me at all. The only thing I had issues with trying to get down was the cantaloupe. It was terrible, but I ate it. I will say, however, that on a few of the things, I couldn't find. Like the string beans, for example. Instead, I think I ate green beans. I felt like that was an okay sub, since it was still a bean. And every time there was an option for 'greens' I ate broccoli. I'm slightly obsessed with it. I steam it and, normally, add some garlic salt. Alas, I didn't for this diet, but it was still yummy!

Okay. Enough of that, lets get to the food! I'm going to break it down into days, then meals.

*****DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for any results of this diet, be it positive or negative. Participation in this diet is solely up to YOU, the reader, and the results fall on you, be it positive or negative.*****

DAY 1

Breakfast - Black coffee or unsweetened black tea (the normal, like Lipton), a half of a grapefruit, 1 slice of whole wheat toast, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.

Lunch - half cup of tuna, 1 slice of whole toast or 1 slice cheese, coffee or tea.

Dinner - 2 slices of any meat (approx. 3 ounces) 1 cup of string beans, 1 cup of beets or carrots, 1 SMALL apple, 1 cup vanilla ice cream. (Yes, you read that correctly. But only ONE CUP!!)

DAY 2

Breakfast - coffee or tea, 1 boiled egg, 1 slice whole wheat toast, half of a banana.

Lunch - 1 cup cottage cheese or half cup of tuna, 3 saltine crackers.

Dinner - 2 hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli or cabbage, half cup of carrots or turnips, HALF cup of vanilla ice cream.

DAY 3

Breakfast - coffee or tea, 3 saltine crackers, 1 slice cheddar cheese (2 ounces), 1 SMALL apple.

Lunch - 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 slice of whole wheat toast, coffee or tea.

Dinner - 1 cup tuna, 1 cup beets or carrots, 1 cup cauliflower or greens, 1 cup cantaloupe (eww), HALF cup of vanilla ice cream.

Remember to be drinking PLENTY of water, and ONLY water, between meals. Absolutely nothing else, including gum/mints. If a meal doesn't state to drink coffee or tea, drink water. And also remember the coffee or tea, for all meals it's included in, must be black/unsweetened. That includes lemon! Also, make sure you have whole wheat bread for toast, get the tuna in water, not oil, and regular tuna, not albacore. And for the coffee/tea, just drink the equivalent of a standard sized coffee mug. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE! The one and ONLY reason to do so, would be if you have an allergy. This is a chemical breakdown in your body, and any variations may cause in-effectiveness, or less than desirable results. If you just don't like something in this diet, don't do it. Simple as that.

If you already have a fitness routine in place, make sure and stick with it during this. Don't over-do it, though, and don't add any more to it. Some blogs I've seen have been recommending adding extra to work-outs, which is poor advice. Over-doing it could lead to serious health issues, since you're almost starving yourself on this (sad truth). Like distance for a run, or heavier weights. Just keep a normal routine in place for these 3 days. Fitness is a huge role in weight loss, especially cardio. So stick with it! But be aware of your body, and what it can/cannot handle. And again, check with a doctor if you feel odd, or injure yourself while on this diet. If you have any serious medical conditions that require dialysis or special medication (such as diabetes) I cannot recommend ENOUGH to speak with your doctor first. Print this out and give him/her the full menu and ask if it's okay, or if they can refer you to a dietician that can develop a meal plan specifically for you.

That's it so far on this post! If I remember anything important that was left out, I'll update! In the mean time, if you have ANY comments or questions, please ask! The main thing I want to stress is that while this diet worked quite well for me, it may not for you. If you're doubtful about it, ask a doctor, nutritionist, personal trainer, or whomever about it first. Every person is different in terms of metabolisms and overall health, body type, size, ability to process different things, etc. If you start feeling sick while on this diet, please stop immediately and seek medical attention. You don't want to injure yourself or fall ill before your ship date, and DEFINITELY don't want to ship that way. Also, let your recruiter know that you're on this diet, that way he or she can give you more feedback on it. Like I said, my recruiter gave this to me, but not all recruiters are the same, and might prefer you didn't do this. If that's the case, LISTEN to them. While you're certainly a "number" for them, you're still a person and they don't want you to harm yourself in any way. Your recruiter knows what's best, and if they don't, your doctor most definitely does!!

That's all for now, folks! Have a great day!!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lex, let me start off by saying you obviously did not read my entire post, you must have only saw bits and pieces. Throughout the entire thing, I am NOT promoting the idea that "being fat is okay" and tell everyone to be aware of their bodies while on this diet. Also, I tell people to let their recruiters know they're on this diet. And if they have any qualms, to discuss it with their doctors first. And if they feel sick, to stop the diet and seek medical attention. I clearly state that FITNESS is a huge role in weight loss, especially cardio. I will never recommend this diet to someone as a permanent solution, as I stated in the post, because it's only meant for a quick fix of a small amount of weight. Everyone knows they should be working on their weight long before MEPS, and if they are anything like me, they were doing everything right, yet got stuck and still had a few pounds to go. Before you go spewing off nonsense, and trying to sound "incredibly smart", you may want to actually completely read and understand the material you are so against. I'm completely aware that people follow my blog and take my advice, which is why I put a million warnings all over it, so they know exactly what it is and to seek additional advice from professionals. I hope you're more thorough the next time you decide to be so condescending and cruel unwarranted. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear they took your laptop. I love my electronic devices so I know who you might have felt at that moment. Anyways, my diet plan is quite similar to yours. But I don't drink tea at all. I eat eggs a lot. May be that's why I'm not in good shape. Better should hit the gym now.

    Thanks for the update, you write very well.
    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Finn! And I was pretty devastated after the robbery. Probably more so over our XBox than my laptop. DH got me hooked on Black Ops II and I had only played the new maps a couple of times! =[ As for your diet, eating a lot of eggs is actually not too bad. They provide a lot of protein and other nutrients. If you start a regular fitness plan, you'll see a lot of muscle growth most likely.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I've started this program on the 3 day military diet which in fact made me gain 6 pounds instead of losing any weight. I've had neck surgery ( pins and plates put in) so my exercising is kinda limited. I found your page under the other one that I had listed. I see that yours is a lot different. I'm looking forward to starting this next week as I just finished my 3 days. I followed the other one to a tee so I will follow yours to a tee as well. What else do I have to lose. ( hopefully weight) Is there anything else I need to know from you before starting because of doing the other one first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your surgery, and that you gained weight instead of lost! The only thing I could think to add is wait a solid week before starting on this version. Give your body plenty of time to recover. Just remember this isn't a long-term solution by any means and shouldn't replace a normal, healthy diet. It's useful for a weigh-in or to jump-start weight loss (granted this is being followed by healthy foods and excercise). Since your excercise is limited, ask your doctor for specifics on what you can/cannot do. Some light excercise a would be doing leg lifts while at your desk or table. Or doing "wall" push-ups. These emulate a push-up, but by doing them on the wall, your full weight isn't on you. But, it develops muscle memory and isn't painful. Also, if you're on any medications for your neck, that could interfere with results. Some medicines are known for weight gain (such as Prednisone, for example, a steroid), but are needed to help manage pain or even just recover. Just make sure and ask your doctor about this first, to avoid any risks!! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Hi i really want to try this diet and i dont have any negative feedback lol. I think you were fairly up front about risks and seeking medical advice. All i am wondering is if it makes a difference if u cook the veggies. Or if they are canned ? I want to do it correctly but it doesnt specify .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I actually used canned green beans in place of string beans. I couldn't find them in all 6 stores my town has!! I take that back, I used canned the first time and cooked them like normal (stove top), then used fresh ones the second time and steamed them. As long as you're eating them like the diet says, it should work out!! Good luck! =]

      Delete