09 May 2013

Ship Day MEPS Part 1

Hey y'all! I was just scrolling through, checking out my old posts when I saw the one I posted from Houston when I shipped out. Apparently, I said I was going to write about my MEPS experience that day. Well, now I'm going to try and remember it enough to do so. That day was a hard, crazy, jam-packed, emotional rollercoaster, so hang in there!

Alright, let's start out with that Monday, 5Nov12, when I was getting ready to head to my recruiter's office. My mom decided to come over about 6 am, and was helping me clean (of course that's what I was worried about). My husband went to work until about 11, then came home to take me to my recruiter's office at noon. It still didn't feel real at that point. Even when I told him bye. I wish I would've taken more time to tell him goodbye, since I didn't even have 5 minutes to at MEPS. Anyway, I wore some workout clothes there, since I planned on working out at the hotel gym. Then, I had a plastic bag I would put them in to give my husband to take home when I saw him at MEPS.

First thing we did when we got to Memphis was head to the MEPS. Not everyone will do this, though. My MEPS liked to have the shippers (if there were more than 5) come in the night before to go over paperwork to shorten the process, and have plenty of time to fix mistakes if applicable. I was there doing all of that for about 2-3 hours. Then we took a shuttle to the hotel to get ready for the night. Immediately, I went to the fitness room and set to work. I was in the same situation this time as last time with weight. So of course I hadn't eaten anything all day, and didn't plan to for the rest of the night. I spent as much time as possible on the phone with my husband, mom, sister, whoever. I think I may have Skyped my SIL this time, too. I went back and forth between my room, where I relaxed and talked on the phone, and the fitness room. Then we had a briefing around 2030ish, that was exactly like the first time.

After that, I spent a bit more time in the fitness room. Finally, I called it quits and went to my room for the evening. I actually lucked out and didn't have a roomie, woot! So, I made a sauna out of the bathroom and sat there for about 10-15 minutes before I gave up! Then, I Skyped DH one last time (and Ted was with him, of course!) and went to bed. I had my first alarm set for 0300, so that oh-so familiar foghorn went off and I was up! I decided to head down to the fitness room one last time (obsessive? Yes. I was trying to make sure I would ship!) then came back up and took a shower and got ready. I didn't bring my flat iron or blow dryer, since it seemed unnecessary. I really didn't care what my hair looked like! (I actually have several photos from that day…I may just post some for y'all to see how terrible I looked! Oh, I even have a before/after pic from the day I shipped, and the day I sepped.) Anyway, it was almost 0430 at this point, and I was packed and ready to go! I didn't want to leave my room just yet, so I called my mom. She's a bazillion (60) years old, and has all kinda of medical issues (including a million kinds/locations of arthritis) so she's up and down all night, and usually is up for the day between 0300-0400. So I called and told her how much I loved and appreciated her and couldn't wait to see her at the MEPS (her and DH came together). I ended the call and went to check out.

I was dressed in my jeans, plain black tee, and black fleece jacket with my Asics on. I was a hot mess. But, luckily I wasn't being judged (there) since everyone else (except the few Marines shipping) looked the same. Hooray for already falling into the military uniformity! Ha! So, after what seemed like for-ev-er waiting on the shuttle to the MEPS, it finally arrived and we set off. I still wasn't nervous or anything at this point -- mostly sad. I REALLY didn't want to leave DH, and I knew I was going to full on lose it when I saw my mom. The stories DH told me about their drive back home was heartbreaking. Anyway, MEPS stuff. Yeah. We got there at roughly 0600 (also, for future reference and to save you a good yelling, you pronounce it zero-six-hundred, not oh-six-hundred. I learned that the second night, and luckily the MTI I was talking to didn't scream. But, I heard plenty of trainees get reamed for it), and things started out just like the first time. We were kinda given priority over the DEPpers, since we had flight itineraries and such.

I think I'm going to break here, and start a new post for the rest. It'll probably (definitely) be super emotional, so have a tissue handy! Any time I think back to that day, I almost feel sick with sadness. I try very hard to just block it out. Which is why it's a little difficult to recall everything, since I've tried to wipe it from memory (at least the MEPS part -- I will never forget Zero Night, and I'm not sure how some people do!).

Have a great evening, and Aim High! I'll be back soon with Ship Day MEPS Part 2!

P.S.
I think I'm just going to have a whole post dedicated to my pictures, since I just saw how many I'd like to share!! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment